Confirmation ministry at First Lutheran is teen–relevant, age-appropriate, active, modern, and theologically sound.
We seek to take the faith given by God in baptism and nourish it in ways that our youth discover Faith Alive!
Register for Spring Classes
Wednesday, October 26, 2016—Celebration Dinner and Rehearsal
- 5:30 Rehearsal in the sanctuary
- 6:15 Celebration dinner in the fellowship hall for confirmands and their families
- 7:45 Pictures (group and individual)
Sunday, October 30, 2016—Affirmation of Baptism Worship
- 1:00 Confirmands meet in the choir room
- 1:30 Service begins
- Grade 6: Confirmation Bible Class—Old Testament
- Grade 7: Confirmation Bible Class—New Testament
- Confirmation Camp at Sugar Creek Bible Camp
- Grade 8: Confirmation University Year 1
- Grade 9: Confirmation University Year 2
- Grade 10: Faith Stories, Affirmation of Baptism Service
This timeline is meant to describe the basic shape of the Confirmation Program. Specific dates will be provided as events and milestones come closer.
- Grades 6 and 7 on Sundays: Here We Stand will provide a curriculum on Sundays for our Bible Class students. The goal is to teach Scripture to firm up the foundational stories that will provide a backdrop for all learning during Confirmation University. These classes meet during the Sunday School hour.
- Summer between grades 7 and 8: All upcoming 8th graders are expected to attend Confirmation Camp at Sugar Creek Bible Camp for a week unlike any other in their Confirmation experience.
- Grade 8 and 9, Confirmation University: 8th and 9th graders explore the meaning of the Church, the Lord’s Prayer, the Creed, the Sacraments and the Commandments by studying Luther’s Small Catechism. These classes will be taught by our pastors. They will also learn ways to engage their faith in the world through a variety of classes. All students will register for classes.
- Grade 8 and 9, on Wednesdays: Each Wednesday all students are encouraged to gather, with their families, for worship at 6:15. All 8th and 9th graders will then meet with their small groups for conversation, prayer and study from 7–8pm.
- Grade 10: 10th grade students will continue to meet with their Small Group leaders in preparation for the sharing of their faith stories and their Affirmation of Baptism service (Confirmation). During these 8 weeks students will make their stoles, film their faith stories and participate in part of Peer Ministry.
Service will be done in three key areas:
- The home: Each confirmation family is asked to serve the community in a service of their choosing. This must include the student and at least one member of the family. Once the service has been complete, the student will fill out a service report form.
- The church: Five hours of service in worship is required each year. See the list below for ideas.
- The community: Each confirmation small group will complete at least one service project in the community. When this project is completed they will fill out a service report form.
Church Service Ideas
Each confirmand is required to assist with worship to fulfill five hours of service hours. These can be as follows; use the links below to sign up online.
- Creative imagery
- Music Leader
- Projection Leader
- Nursery Helper (up to 2 hours)
- VBS Assistant (4 hours credit)
Community Service Ideas
These are ideas for small groups...
Every year our confirmands share their faith stories with their church family. View the most recent one below.
Have a question about confirmation at First Lutheran? Use the form below to contact Tina Nelson, our Director of Discipleship for Youth.