The images above are symbols to remind us and return us to our call as Christians to serve one another. The candle represents the light of God shining brightly through you. That light does not shine into an empty space where no one else can see it. Instead it shines out into larger and larger circles. Research has led Christian leaders at Vibrant Faith Ministries to create the “six circles of faith-nurturing relationships.” These circles remind us that we do not exist in a vacuum and are constantly being influenced by six ever-expanding circles: our peers, our family, our congregation, our community, our culture and our creation. The stone circles in the above image represent these circles of influence. During our Year of Service and Fellowship at First Lutheran we are raising awareness of these circles and then calling our members to answer their baptismal call by finding ways to serve each of these circles.
Go and do likewise!
- Light the candle at the center of your spiral.
- Read the assigned scripture (see below).
- Share or write down what stood out to you about the scripture and why.
- Share or write down how you were of service to someone today and how you were served today.
Daily Scripture Readings
- Sunday, December 7: Mark 1:1-8
- Monday, December 8: Psalm 27
- Tuesday, December 9: Isaiah 4:2-6
- Wednesday, December 10: Luke 1:5-17
- Thursday, December 11: Psalm 126
- Friday, December 12: Philippians 3:12-16
- Saturday, December 13: Habakkuk 3:13-19
- Sunday, December 14: John 1:6-8, 19-28
- Monday, December 15: Ephesians 6:10-17
- Tuesday, December 16: Acts 3:17-4:4
- Wednesday, December 17: Mark 9:9-13
- Thursday, December 18: Hebrews 1:1-4
- Friday, December 19: Hebrews 1:5-14
- Saturday, December 20: John 7:40-52
- Sunday, December 21: Luke 1:26-38
- Monday, December 22: Romans 10:5-13
- Tuesday, December 23: Romans 13:11-14
- Wednesday, December 24: Luke 2:1-20
- Thursday, December 25: John 1:1-14
Creating Your Own Faith Spiral
Starting from a votive candle, place rocks in a continuous circular line until you have created the “rings”. You may consider creating this center piece on a tray to make it easy to move. Please share your spiral with the church by emailing photos to email@example.com or posting them at facebook.com/firstlu!